Photo taken early October in Oak Creek Canyon show spectacular red rock walls and misty clouds illuminated by the morning sun.
See the latest photos, stories, and information about Sedona, Arizona.
Unlike the wondrous Grand Canyon that is the number-one attraction in Arizona, Oak Creek Canyon is intimate, accessible and enclosed. Romantic hideaways are tucked along 89A, the only road through the canyon, a winding 25-mile byway between Sedona and Flagstaff that has dazzled visitors since 1884.
Read this wonderful piece about the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness written by celebrated Sedona author Jim Bishop, exclusively for Gateway To Sedona, entitled Stunning Taste of Nature.
The most popular of all Sedona tours include hot air balloon rides. A hot air balloon gives its passengers a wonderful panoramic view while flying over red rock country at sunrise.
Nestled on the western end of Sedona’s city limits is a stretch of land straddling State Route 89A from just west of Sedona Red Rock High School and stretching east just beyond the Sedona Medical Center. This area is a critical component of Sedona’s future, and how it develops will play a major role in defining its destiny.
Visitors winding their way from Interstate 17 along Arizona State Route 179 towards Sedona are treated to one of the more incredible scenic drives in America. Many will claim that the natural beauty along this winding road is unparalleled anywhere else in the nation. But behind all of the rolling green landscape and majestic red rocks is a story that most folks are not aware of. It’s a story about the debate and controversy surrounding the construction of this road, and a story about a community not accepting a state agency’s efficient road design geared towards the efficient movement of traffic at the perceived expense of the pristine and fragile environment.
More Articles ...
- Slip Sliding Away At Slide Rock State Park in Sedona Arizona
- Southwest Adventures with Rattlesnakes
- In Praise of the Arizona Raven
- Coffee Pot Rock, Sedona Arizona
- Sedona Magic Valley
- Cathedral Rock, Sedona, Arizona
- Cathedral Rock, the Sedona Vortex, and Red Rock Crossing
- View of Thunder Mountain and Coffee Pot Rock
- Hummingbirds — Tiny Wonders in Sedona Arizona
- Stories in Stone near Sedona, Arizona: The V-Bar-V Petroglyphs
- Prairie Dog Towns Among Northern Arizona Roadside Attractions
- The Black-tailed Jackrabbit Has A Need For Speed
- Map of Sedona Hiking Trails
- Sedona Promotes Sustainability as a Bicycle Friendly Community
- Sedona Airport Overlook Offers Amazing Views
- The Least Chipmunk, Busy and Cute Sedona Neighborhood Character
- The Other Famous Cactus of Arizona — The Prickly Pear
- The Hike to the Top of Submarine Rock
- Explore Sedona Hiking Trails: Courthouse Butte Loop
- Fun Under the Stars — Community Camp Out in Sedona Arizona
- Fireball Seen Over Sedona Arizona June 2, 2016
- Two Nuns by the Chapel in Sedona, Arizona
- Sedona Chamber Mixer at Beautiful Poco Diablo Resort in May
- Mountain Bluebirds, Bright Jewels in Sedona and Northern Arizona
- The Scenic Hike to Devil's Bridge, An Amazing Natural Bridge in Sedona, Arizona
- Echinopsis Cactus Blooms Overnight in Sedona, Arizona
- Chimney Rock, Andante, and Thunder Mountain Trails - Easy to Challenging Sedona Hiking Trail Network
- Cooper's Hawk in Sedona, Arizona
- The Broken Arrow Trail: Easy Yet Incredibly Scenic Sedona Hiking Trail Experience
- They're Back! The Invasion of the Javelinas
- Sedona Pyramid Trail Hike
- Sedona Day Trips: Page Springs Fish Hatchery And Other Cornville Attractions
- Slide Rock State Park in Sedona, Arizona
- Winter Passes Through Red Rock Country in Sedona Arizona
- Visitors Enjoy Red Rock State Park in Sedona Arizona
- Monsoon Presents Photographic Moments at Sedona Airport in Scenic Sedona Arizona
- The Monsoon Season Arrives In Sedona
- Famous Sedona Red Rock Formations: Bell Rock vs. Cathedral Rock
- Getting to Know Sedona Arizona
- Sedona Red Rock Scenic Byway Cam
- Sedona Weather Forecast
- Sedona, Arizona, Community Animated by the Arts, Now With City Council Meeting Animated by the Arts
- What Makes Sedona, Arizona Tick? Volunteers!
- Discover Secret Sedona: The Riparian Environment of Soldier Pass and the Seven Sacred Pools
- Summer Rains Sound Like Love to Arizona Tarantulas
- Fast and Feisty — the Greater Roadrunner
- Ponderosa Pine and the Coconino National Forest of Arizona
- "Y" Not in Sedona Arizona
- Sedona Dark Skies, Part 1: Born in Controversy and Raised in a Politically Divided Community
- Explore Sedona Hiking Trails: Bell Rock Pathway