Sedona author Jim Bishop writes about people who have left Sedona, and how they long for Sedona Red Rock country looking back.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a seasoned backcountry adventurer, or if you get most of your knowledge of the Great Outdoors from books and online sites. Once you arrive in Sedona, your feet start itching to get out of the car and explore this fantastic landscape. There are trails for every level of fitness and commitment, from a flat paved stroll at the foot of Cathedral Rock to a scramble up an old wagon trail that was once the way to Flagstaff.
The hike around Courthouse Butte puts the spotlight on several of Sedona’s celebrated formations, including Bell Rock, the Rabbit Ears, Spaceship Rock, and the Baby Bell, with sweeping vistas that encompass Cathedral Rock, Munds Mountain Wilderness, the Chapel Area, and Thunder Mountain.
Photo taken looking over and past the Sedona Scenic Byway, SR 179, from Arrow Drive has the sun striking the rocks in a truly magical way. The sky had unusual cloud formations, typical of the Sedona monsoon season in August.
See images of Cathdral Rock, probably the most famous and iconic rock formation in Sedona, Arizona. Its photo has graced covers of Arizona Highways magazine, as well as hundreds of brochures promoting Sedona over the decades.
More Articles ...
- The Airport Mesa Loop Trail Offers Awe-Inspiring Views of Sedona Vortex and Red Rock Formations
- View of Thunder Mountain and Coffee Pot Rock
- Chimney Rock, Andante, and Thunder Mountain Trails - Easy to Challenging Sedona Hiking Trail Network
- Coffee Pot Rock, Sedona Arizona
- Map of Sedona Hiking Trails
- Sedona Pyramid Trail Hike
- Famous Sedona Red Rock Formations: Bell Rock vs. Cathedral Rock
- Two Nuns by the Chapel in Sedona, Arizona
- Monsoon Presents Photographic Moments at Sedona Airport in Scenic Sedona Arizona
- Cathedral Rock, the Sedona Vortex, and Red Rock Crossing
- The Broken Arrow Trail: Easy Yet Incredibly Scenic Sedona Hiking Trail Experience
- West Fork Trail, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona Arizona
- Visitors Enjoy Red Rock State Park in Sedona Arizona
- Discover Secret Sedona: The Riparian Environment of Soldier Pass and the Seven Sacred Pools
- Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte
- The Scenic Hike to Devil's Bridge, An Amazing Natural Bridge in Sedona, Arizona