The Gateway International Painting Competition
THE GATEWAY INTERNATIONAL PAINTING COMPETITION
The Gateway International Painting Competition is open to all artists world wide over 18 years old. All painting media is accepted, such as but not limited to oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, pencil, ink, and mixed media. Changing monthly professional artist judges provide a written comment for each finalist painting. This strictly online painting competition runs for 12 months, beginning August 1 and ending July 31. Each month is conducted as a separate competition, beginning on the first day of the month and ending at 11:59 pm the last day of the month, Arizona USA time. Finalists and Best in Show winners are announced on or after the 20th of the following month. Finalists from all months of the competition contend for the Grand Prizes awarded in August.
This painting competition supports our fundraising effort to make and send art kits to students with limited access to art supplies or art education; entry fees significantly contribute to this goal.
TWO ENTRY CATEGORIES
- TWO CATEGORIES OF ENTRY, BEGINNING AUGUST 2018: Representational (realism, impressionism, etc) and Nonrepresentational (abstract).
- 12 FINALISTS... 6 monthly finalists each category (representational and nonrepresentational), including TWO monthly Best in Show winners, with 72 annual finalists each category.
- Two Professional artist judges each month, each selected according to painting style -- judge who demonstrates accomplishment in representational painting for "Representational" category; judge who demonstrates accomplishment in abstract painting for "Nonrepresentational."
BEST IN SHOW CASH AWARDS (based on total entries per month from all entering artists):
- Representational: from 50 to 100 entries: $250 cash; 100 to 200 entries, $500 cash; over 200 entries, $1000 cash.
- Nonrepresentational: from 10 to 25 entries, $50 cash; 25 to 50 entries, $100 cash; 50 to 100 entries, $250 cash; 100 to 200, $500 cash; over 200 entries, $1,000 cash.*
Regardless of cash prizes, all finalists receive a mailed certificate of recognition (to any country in the world where they live), and 1 free promoted entry with social media paid promoted post. All finalist winners from all 12 months of the competition also compete for Grand Prizes (cash prizes) at year's end.
* Note: As we newly attract abstract artists in their dedicated category, we expect the number of entries to increase over time.
ARTISTS CHOICE AWARD
The monthly Artist Choice award goes to the painting which receives the most positive comments from logged in member artists. The Artists Choice painting receives congratulatory recognition (mailed accomplishment certificate) and free promoted painting entry with paid social media post (Facebook and Instagram).
PAINTING CONTEST BACKGROUND
Formerly known as the Sedona Art Prize (2016-17) and The Gateway To Sedona Artist Competition (2014-15), this international online painting competition, exhibition and artist promotion enters its fourth year, and is produced, organized, and managed day-to-day by Victoria Oldham and Tim Ernster. Victoria is a life-long professional artist and publisher, and Tim has been a City Manager for a number of cities in Arizona, including Sedona.
- Grand Prize cash awards in August after the close of the competition, selected from among finalists from all months of the competition.
- Publication of "special" promoted paintings in social media paid posts.
- Multiple painting entry plans at reduced rates.
- Ability to sell your paintings and keep 100% of the sale. "Buy Now" and auction selling features if desired (promoted painting plans only).
- Artwork stays on the website for the entire competition year.
- Promotion of member artist's events: workshops, shows and gallery openings in our event calendar.
Please call us (Tim or Victoria) with any questions: 928-201-5082 or 928-282-4326.
We look forward to your participation and success!