West Fork Trail in scenic Oak Creek Canyon is possibly the number one Sedona hiking trail in popularity, and certainly her most famous. During most days out of the year, the only fork flowing into Oak Creek is a gentle stream meandering beneath towering ponderosa pine and Douglas fir, and steep red rock and cream colored sandstone canyon walls. The forest is a cooling respite during the heat of summer, a calming wonderland of wildflowers, birds, and butterflies during the spring, and of course, a spectacular pageant of autumnal colors in the fall.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a seasoned backcountry adventurer, or if you get most of your knowledge of the Great Outdoors from books and online sites. Once you arrive in Sedona, your feet start itching to get out of the car and explore this fantastic landscape. There are trails for every level of fitness and commitment, from a flat paved stroll at the foot of Cathedral Rock to a scramble up an old wagon trail that was once the way to Flagstaff.
Coffee Pot Rock is a red rock formation uncannily shaped like a coffee pot, spout and all! It looms over West Sedona and has become an iconic subject of Sedona photos and postcards. There is an easy hike leading to the base of Coffee Pot Rock.
Photo taken looking over and past the Sedona Scenic Byway, SR 179, from Arrow Drive has the sun striking the rocks in a truly magical way. The sky had unusual cloud formations, typical of the Sedona monsoon season in August.
See images of Cathdral Rock, probably the most famous and iconic rock formation in Sedona, Arizona. Its photo has graced covers of Arizona Highways magazine, as well as hundreds of brochures promoting Sedona over the decades.
More Articles ...
- Cathedral Rock, the Sedona Vortex, and Red Rock Crossing
- View of Thunder Mountain and Coffee Pot Rock
- Map of Sedona Hiking Trails
- Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte
- The Hike to the Top of Submarine Rock
- Explore Sedona Hiking Trails: Courthouse Butte Loop
- Two Nuns by the Chapel in Sedona, Arizona
- The Scenic Hike to Devil's Bridge, An Amazing Natural Bridge in Sedona, Arizona
- Chimney Rock, Andante, and Thunder Mountain Trails - Easy to Challenging Sedona Hiking Trail Network
- The Airport Mesa Loop Trail Offers Awe-Inspiring Views of Sedona Vortex and Red Rock Formations
- Sedona Mystic and Hog Trail System Provides A Unique Experience For Hikers and Bikers
- The Broken Arrow Trail: Easy Yet Incredibly Scenic Sedona Hiking Trail Experience
- Sedona Pyramid Trail Hike
- Visitors Enjoy Red Rock State Park in Sedona Arizona
- Monsoon Presents Photographic Moments at Sedona Airport in Scenic Sedona Arizona
- Famous Sedona Red Rock Formations: Bell Rock vs. Cathedral Rock
- Discover Secret Sedona: The Riparian Environment of Soldier Pass and the Seven Sacred Pools
- Explore Sedona Hiking Trails: Bell Rock Pathway